Friday, October 14, 2011

What Feels Good?

It's easy to get so caught up in coping with chronic illness that we forget what feels good. In fact, it is so easy, even for healthy people, to get so caught up in the daily grind that they forget what feels good, too. Decades ago, when I was caught up in raising small children, going to college, and buildling my career, I read The Language of Letting Go by Melodie Beattie. I already had lupus then, but did not know. The doctors chalked up my fatigue, joint pain, and frequent colds to stress and working too hard. Anyway, in one of the daily meditations, Beattie asks, "What would feel good? What wouldn't feel good? What do you want? What don't you want?" I wept. I was so busy with my life and so busy being tired that I could not answer those questions.

Fast forward 25 years or so. I am reading and working through The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Creativity by Julia Cameron. More than once, the reader is instructed to make a list of 20 things she enjoys doing. The first time, I could think of six and then got stuck! For number 7 I wrote, "OUCH! STUCK!" Since then, I am happily remembering little things that bring me pleasure and incorporating them into my life.

When we are feeling down, overwhelmed or sick we don't remember the things that make us feel better. Why not make a list for yourself? Add to the list as you remember what feels good. Post it where you can see it so when you really need a boost, you will have a reminder. Just because we are sick doesn't mean we have to deny ourselves!

No comments: