Saturday, November 3, 2012


For the most part, I am vegetarian. Although every now and then bacon gets me to fall off the wagon! I also love my slow cooker. I turn it on in the morning and come home to dinner. But all my recipes hinged on meat. Browsing the cookbooks in my public library, I discoverd several slow cooker books for vegetarians and vegans.

I made this very yummy recipe from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester:

Tempeh Braised with Figs and Port Wine
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package (8 ounces or 25 g) tempeh* cubed
8 fresh figs (may substitute dried figs)
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon (6 g) vegan chicken flavored bouillon
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 sprig fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute one minute longer. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Yield 4 servings.

*Tempeh is a soy product and a good source of protein. In this recipe, it totally absorbs the all the flavors. The texture is more "toothsome" than tofu. I am not overly fond of tofu, but I love tempeh. You can find it in the refrigerated section with other meat substitutes at health food stores or in the organic part of the produce section of some grocery stores like Publix.

Happy eating!

No comments: