Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing!

I love cheesecake-rich, creamy, heavy, moist New York cheesecake. In fact, I could eat a whole cheesecake in a day. When I was a scraggly 114 pounds I did just that! After all, I deserved it! I felt miserable, had endured so much, was tired, was skinny, lost my jobs, didn’t know how I was going to survive (ya da ya da ya da) that I had an inalienable right to indulge in some kind of pleasure and decadence. I deserved cheesecake! Right? Wrong!

We don’t have to, in fact we shouldn’t, deny ourselves little pleasures and comforts. But if our ultimate goal is to feel better, then eating the “whole thing” probably won’t contribute much. Eat mindfully, not emotionally. Are you eating because you are hungry? Are you eating to savor the flavor of every morsel? Or are you eating out of depression, sadness, anger, or some other feeling?

(I wonder how many apples you would have to eat in a day to equal the calories in an entire New York cheesecake?)

1 comment:

Moon Lee said...

Uhh, a whole cheese cake is about 2500 Calories, and apple is about 70.
sooo

35 apples.

haha, it great? 25K a year for learning this useless shit.