Saturday, February 11, 2012

Writing Yourself Well

Feelings buried alive never die. Everyone has difficult emotions from time to time. Most of us have gotten pretty good at burying them. If you are living with a chronic illness, you have more than your share of unpleasant feelings. The only way to get past these emotions is to express them. But the feelings are so terrifying that we dare not take the lid off the pressure cooker. We are afraid that if we express even the smallest part of these feelings, we will explode and our arms and legs and head will fly off into space. Keeping feelings buried takes all of our energy, energy that would be better used to heal.

I don't know about you, but no one ever taught me constructive ways to express painful feelings. Last year, I took a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction workshop and a relationships workshop from a wonderful local psychologist, Beth Meeker. Beth uses a combination of meditation, journaling and small group sharing. Her workshops are typically 5 hours long! Beth recommended The Artists Way: A Spiritual Path to Creativity. There are short, thought provoking chapters, followed by tasks for that week. Some of those tasks are journaling prompts. One of the things the author, Julia Cameron, recommends is what she calls "Morning Pages." She encourages the reader to write three pages in a journal first thing every morning.

Since writing my "Morning Pages" nearly every day since August 2011, I have finally been able to express some tough emotions and let them go. It's no coincidence that my health has continued to improve. I hope and pray that some of you will give journaling a chance. Let me know if you do and please share your experience.

1 comment:

Elaine Livingston said...

I've kept a diary (spiral notebook) since 1998. 2002 was too painful to read, that was a bad year. I've actually needed them for legal matters, needing dates of when I did what. They have come in handy. Some things have changed over the years, other things I write are the same exact words I write every year (weight, loneliness etc..). It does document my medical history also. What I notice is I tend to write only the bad things that happen so it does paint a warped picture of my life. Hope this helps.