Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I Know Someone

She sat next to me in the waiting room at the doctor’s office. It was my first visit since I was diagnosed in the hospital. I was still numb with shock. She said, “I had a friend who had your disease. Her organs shut down one by one. It was such a horrible death. “ I changed the subject. She recounted more grizzly details. I said nothing. I pictured myself stuffing a sock in her mouth.

Why do people say such things? Why didn’t I ask her to stop immediately? How can I handle this differently the next time?

3 comments:

Hilton said...

Ask her, "And how are you dying?" Although, I think the sock in the mouth idea is really best.

Elaine Livingston said...

When I start complaining too much about my job to my mother, she knows how to divert the converation to something else or you could just change their voice in your mind so that it sounds like Mickey Mouse and add circus music in the background ;o)

Elaine Livingston said...

In your mind, change their voice so that they sound like Mickey Mouse and add circus music in the background.