Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Friendship Ring

I have a ring that’s very special. It has my birthstone-a garnet. I bought the ring about two years after my diagnosis. I was still pretty sick, still on disability. The ring was only $30 but that was an extravagance for someone who was barely surviving. When I tried it on, I had an “ah-ha” moment.

The ring is a symbol. Every morning after my shower, I put the ring on. This is my daily renewal of my commitment to put my health first, to live the best life possible with this disease, and to make choices that build health rather than tear it down. I wear it on my right hand, my dominant hand. Every time I use that hand, I see the ring and remember.

What commitment will you make to yourself today?

1 comment:

Moon Lee said...

So this ring is a symbol of a friendship with yourself or your life?

I have a similar ring, with my birth stone, so I can relate upto some point.